By David Schmidtz,Jason Brennan
- Offers a succinct but thorough survey of non-public freedom
- Explores the real that means of liberty, drawing philosophical classes approximately liberty from history
- Considers the writings of key old figures from Socrates and Erasmus to Hobbes, Locke, Marx, and Adam Smith
- Combines philosophical rigor with social medical analysis
- Argues that liberty refers to a variety of comparable yet particular rules instead of restricting the idea that to 1 definition
Read Online or Download A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy) PDF
Best political philosophy books
This e-book is an exploration of Plato's Republic that bypasses arcane scholarly debates. Plato's myth offers clean perception into what, in Plato's view, is the relevant challenge of existence: the mortal propensity to undertake faulty methods of answering the query of the way to stay good. How, in gentle of those trends, can humankind be stored?
How can indigenous humans most sensible assert their felony and political uniqueness? during this isn't really a Peace Pipe, Dale Turner explores indigenous highbrow tradition and its dating to, and inside of, the dominant Euro-American tradition. He contends that indigenous intellectuals have to have interaction the criminal and political discourses of the kingdom, respecting either indigenous philosophies and Western eu highbrow traditions.
Decolonizing Time: paintings, rest, and Freedom demonstrates the significance of time as a important classification for political conception, delivering not just a historical past of the struggle for time via political, feminist, and important conception, but in addition assessing this practice within the context of the United States.
This can be a hypothesis at the means of political and sociological theorizing because it is at present practiced, and to a point on the way it has been traditionally practiced, in Europe and North the USA. It considers this theorizing throughout various geographic, temporal and cultural contexts with out resorting to the extra conventional procedure of “comparative analysis”.
- Liberty, Wisdom, and Grace: Thomism and Democratic Political Theory (Applications of Political Theory)
- Why Policy Representation Matters: The consequences of ideological proximity between citizens and their governments (Routledge-WIAS Interdisciplinary Studies)
- The Politics of Unreason: The Frankfurt School and the Origins of Modern Antisemitism (SUNY series, Philosophy and Race)
- Modern Frames and Premodern Themes in Indian Philosophy: Border, Self and the Other
- Born Free and Equal?: A Philosophical Inquiry into the Nature of Discrimination
- Imperial Republics: Revolution, War and Territorial Expansion from the English Civil War to the French Revolution
Extra resources for A Brief History of Liberty (Brief Histories of Philosophy)